Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Process, as flawed as it is, and oh, it is flawed

Unless you've run into me camped out at one of my regular coffee shops or down at the pub you probably don't know that I write the most when I write by hand. I find that writing first drafts on a laptop or desktop to a) be too much of a distraction b) an idea killer. Excepting a handful of short stories I almost never write straight into a computer. I always carry around a couple notebooks in my purse or backpack that are designated for various stories I'm working on at the moment. When I get a few pages done, I will then and only then type up what I have because I'm also obsessed with knowing my running word count lol.

I prefer to write in either small (5" x 7") journals or composition books. This past year comp books have been my material choice (pens are always Sarahsa's) and I've been needing a new one for a YA novel I started plotting this week but if you've been school shopping this year they are fucking expensive. We're talking $2.50 compared to a spiral notebook which clearances at about $0.99. So you can perhaps appreciate my absolute glee when I walked into a Moscow, ID Staples and found comp books being clearanced at $0.99!!! I just about squealed and did a little dance right there in the store. I bought 5 new notebooks and a graph paper one as well (because I have to take two research & stats classes this year and I hate doing math on plain lined paper, always have). I also got a new pack of my multi-colored pens for $5 (about a dollar off). All in all a very profitable trip :)

3 comments:

  1. I've seen composition books for 50c during August back-to-school sales. I think at Walmart? Too late this year, but next year I'll watch for them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MrsOHi looked at walmart this yr! and they only had Wide Ruled comp books and they were all 2.50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire your process and dedication to writing. I've tried for years to put myself on a schedule in order to get somewhere with my writing, but alas I've been a massive failure. As cheesy as this may sound, you inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete