Sunday, August 2, 2009

Goals

I'm out of shape. I know it. So far this year I've been ok with it. But you know what? Careers in law enforcement are not made on out of shapeness.

Once upon a time I was in pretty good shape, could have flown through the FBI's phys ed test and was thinking about how I've always wanted to train for a Triathlon. Only I never got around to it. But I've been thinking about it more this summer, cause I'm really stagnating here, even if my job is semi-physical. I haul a backpack full of books all over campus and I'm exhausted.

So, after talking it out with some friends, I've decided it is time to start walking and running. I'm super busy but if I can't get my butt in gear 30min/6days/week then why the hell should I do anything? I've got a little plan scheduled out for the next 8 weeks to get me into basic running shape (goal is to be able to run 30min continuously with a fair amount of ease) by the end of September. 

After that I'm setting this down as a record of my tentative goal to look for a local 5K race in October, pump up the volume of training and aim for a 10K race in December/January, see about finding a 10Mile (though I think those are harder to find so we'll see) for Marchish with the ultimate goal being the Capital City Half Marathon next Mayish (if I can do this, I say full Marathon 2011!!!!).

Katie, if you read this, give me your thoughts. I'd really like to set these goals for races and checkpoints with you (and dragging meagan along despite her protests) if they sound like fun. And I figure we could cross train with biking/climbing/kayaking and maybe even some swimming during the winter?

3 comments:

  1. If you are less-than-successful with "dragging Meagan along," remember that there is a very active ex-NCHS running community that does miles every day with the upcoming XC team. Michael would be a good person to help you make that contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, but those people are serious runners. i told meagan we're just ignorant amatuers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still, they typically run at several different paces. If you have trouble finding a running partner, keep 'em in mind.

    ReplyDelete